Chapter 6: I’d Have Baked a Cake – part 3

Addison lay on her side, not daring to move. This topped the list of the dangerous things she’d done and she still didn’t know why she was doing it! Myers said it was for Jacob. That must have been the reason. After he was born… I won’t be rid of him. Myers. She’d have to at least tolerate Myers for Jacob’s sake. At the moment it didn’t seem so bad.

Addison reluctantly admitted that she liked the weight of Myers’ hand on her abdomen. She seldom experienced this sort of closeness, and rarely sought it. It was a necessary sacrifice to rise in the Triptych ranks. This indulgence was dangerous, as the knot in her stomach warned. I should leave. Teleport away. Bugger if Myers knows I can. Yet the calm radiating from her unborn son kept Addison there in Myers’ bed. The warmth of his body against hers had nothing to do with it. Once the prat nodded off, she’d teleport away. Problem solved.

Addison waited, enjoy— feeling Myers’ breath on her shoulder. The arrogant git didn’t say a word. If not for her mental awareness she’d have thought he’d dropped off. So she waited.

Eventually Jacob drifted off and Myers’ breathing slowed. Soon, Addison told herself, blinking to keep sleep at bay. Another minute…

Jacob’s squirming wrenched Addison awake. The discomfort from her son’s restlessness was familiar, yet something was off, and the sodding air conditioning wasn’t working because warm air blew on the back of Addison’s neck. It was puffing even, like…

Bloody hell!

Addison forced herself to remain still even as her heart tried to beat its way out of her ribcage. She was in Myers’ bed with Myers, who was sound asleep with his arms wrapped around her! Jacob’s happiness only added to her confusion.

Once she’d calmed down Addison teleported to her quarters. The green LED numbers on her alarm clock read 6:07—a bit earlier than when she normally awoke. It was just as well. She’d get a jump on the day and put last night’s bizarreness behind her.

Addison strode into her department at 8:00 and got to work. Normally she could lose herself in artifact cataloging and translations, even 34 weeks pregnant, but the mystery of the previous night haunted her. Her mood soured and was shared with anyone who crossed her path. Her normally competent assistants couldn’t do anything right. The cafeteria server who spilled a bit of soup on Addison’s hand got a tongue-lashing. And Ashlynn chose that day to escape from her nanny Svetlana. Daniel found the girl hiding in his office. Although no harm was done, Addison dressed down Daniel and Svetlana. What sort of “father” or nanny couldn’t keep track of a four year-old?

By mid-afternoon Addison’s nerves were frayed, her back, ankles and feet hurt, and it was all Myers’ fault. It was Myers’ fault that her subconscious was attracted to him, for practically fucking her in the hall weeks ago, and for going bipolar last night and turning nice. The fact that he hadn’t tried to shag her was surprising… and disappointing.

Addison turned in early that night, exhausted. Although Jacob had settled down, sleep eluded her. After two hours of tossing and turning, Addison got up and pulled on her satin bathrobe. She stared at her discheveled reflection in the mirror over her dresser. Barmy. You’re right barmy, you are. Light flashed as she teleported.

The angles of Myers’ bedroom replaced the graceful lines of Addison’s. The cause of her frustration was nowhere in sight. Addison reached out with her mind. Myers wasn’t nearby. Still working, most likely, but that was fine. She wasn’t disappointed, she told herself. She just needed sleep. Her and Jacob.

Addison crawled into Myers’ bed, burrowing into the pillows and sheets that smelled so much like him. The now-familiar scent lulled Addison to sleep.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Chapter 6: I’d Have Baked a Cake – part 3”

1. Heidi June 30, 2009 at 8:55 am #

The word “lie” in the very first sentence doesn’t quite make sense to me, should it be “laid” instead? Perhaps I’m just not reading it correctly.

I’m enjoying the story. Addison is very much acting like a pregnant woman. Kudos on getting the hormonal reactions down so well.

I’m looking forward to more.

• nancy June 30, 2009 at 9:42 am #

*headdesk* I’m terrible with lie/lay/laid etc. One day I will learn! Anyhoo, thanks for pointing that out. According to this page, it should be “lay.” I’ve made the correction.

Thanks for your kind words. All of those regarding Addison’s behavior go to Vanessa. Addison is her character. Glad you’re enjoying the story!

• vanessa June 30, 2009 at 10:02 am #

Glad you’re enjoying Addison’s reactions. They’re not so much fictional as drawn from real life. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, got the stretch marks and the sleepness nights.

Thank you for the kind words, however. Please enjoy and keep right on reading :)

2. Sophie June 30, 2009 at 9:16 am #

She did it again! *bwahahaha* Well, if Myers hasn’t already figured out that she can teleport, he will soon enough.. probably checking the CCTV or something :)

One thing though – “If not for her mental awareness she’d have thought he’d kipped off.” I know you’ve been using a lot of British slang, very well too, but I’ve never heard “kipped off”. A kip is definitely a nap, and you can have a kip or be kipping, but “kipping off” is a new one on me. Maybe “dropped off” instead?

Also, know I’m useless at leaving feedback, but I really am enjoying this :)

• nancy June 30, 2009 at 9:45 am #

Yay, Soph’s reading! :)

Thanks for the Brit-pick. I changed it to “dropped off.”

For those of you who don’t know, Vanessa and I are American, so we’re doing the best we can with the British slang. Hooray for Doctor Who! :) Corrections and suggestions are welcome.

• vanessa June 30, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Thanks for the correction, Sophie! I do (did) my best with weekly dosages of BBCAmerica and British films, but plenty falls/fell through the cracks, I’m sure. The feedback, corrections and suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated.

3. The Doctor June 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

Oh this is brilliant, it’s beautiful. You two are clever that’s what you are. I can ACTUALLY feel the difference between the two main characters. Ahhhh this is good, you two are good. If I wasn’t in the room I’d even say it’s genius.

• vanessa July 1, 2009 at 8:10 am #

Wow! We’ve really hit it big … traversing time and space for our little story to be read!

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by and reading.

• nancy July 1, 2009 at 9:24 am #

What Vanessa said. Thanks, Doctor! Give Cap’n Jack my regards. :)

• Sophie July 1, 2009 at 10:35 am #

This could be Valentino Rossi, as opposed to the Timelord :p But I’m not sure whether MotoGP champions have time to read teh intarwebs :)

• nancy July 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm #

I had to look up Mr. Rossi. You’re educating me in all things motorcycle. :)