Chapter 7: Deliverance – part 10

Ashlynn’s ear-piercing shriek startled Shane awake. His heart pounded as he glanced at the clock on Addison’s nightstand. Its glowing green letters read 6:14. “I don’t wanna have oatmeal!” the pint-sized banshee wailed. Her soprano sliced through the walls and closed door between Shane and the kitchen. “I want pancakes!”

Addison’s alto, although muffled, carried as well. “Young lady, you are going to sit down, shut your gob, and eat your breakfast. I’ve–”

Shane muttered a blue streak as the spoiled brat’s tantrum continued. There was no way he’d get back to sleep now. Worse, he felt Jacob’s discontent. His son was awake and getting more upset by the minute. This had happened a week ago, the last time Svetlana had the day off. Shane wasn’t going to stand by and let the same ludicrous drama play out.

After pulling on a pair of sweatpants, Shane marched to the kitchen to the tune of Ashlynn’s crying. The brat quieted in her seat at the table for a split second when Shane entered, then went right back at it. Addison stood at the stove stirring a small pot of oatmeal. Jacob nestled in the sling draped around her. Addison gave Shane a vexed look, then turned back to what Ashlynn didn’t want for breakfast.

Shane sniffed. After everything he’d done for her, after all of the crap he’d put up with for the past three weeks, Addison couldn’t afford him a hello. Her souring mood affected Jake, who added his cries to the cacophony.

Addison rounded on him with one hand on her hip. “You’re not helping, you know. Take Jacob, or get out.”

Shane’s temper flared, but he wrestled it under control. “I’m not helping? You’re not doing anything!” He waved at the still-tantruming Ashlynn. “Would you shut her up?”

Addison rolled her eyes. At this point, ignoring the unwanted behavior is the best course.

“Yeah,” Shane spat. “Clearly.” Ignoring the unwanted behavior was giving him a headache.

Since Addison wasn’t about to deal with her spoiled daughter, Shane decided it was his turn. He hurled all of his frustration at the girl. Stunned, the brat shut up. Ashlynn stared at him wide-eyed as he prepared–

Shane skidded backwards, colliding with the wall. Pain exploded when the back of his head connected with sheetrock. Stars swam across his vision, and an invisible force had him pinned.

“Ashlynn,” Addison’s ice-cold voice said. “Go to your room.”

“Yes, Mummy.” Shane’s sight returned in time to see the girl dart away.

Addison, her face flushed with anger, strode up to him while Jacob fussed in the sling. “You will never again lay a finger, mentally or physically, on my daughter.” A psychic jab accompanied each word. “Do you understand?”

Shane tried to break free. “Bitch,” he ground out.

Addison smirked. “I’ll wait while you think it over.” Then the bitch turned back to the damned oatmeal on the stove, cooing at his son.

Shane saw red, but still couldn’t move. After a few moments he calmed enough to grab for his alien side. On the third try emotionless calm washed away Shane’s turmoil.

Addison’s concentration wavered. Shane took advantage and broke free. He strode up to the insufferable woman, whose expression resembled her daughter’s not long ago. “I have no intention of hurting your daughter,” he explained. “Her behavior is unacceptable. It’s upsetting Jake. Fix it.”

After shoring up his mental shields, Shane turned his back on Addison. Her indignation and fury lashed at him as he returned to the bedroom, but didn’t penetrate the void. Cool and calm, Shane donned the clothes he’d worn the day before and left for his quarters. Thanks to Ashlynn’s wake-up call, he had plenty of time to get ready for work.

Tags: , , ,

26 Responses to “Chapter 7: Deliverance – part 10”

1. Heidi August 28, 2009 at 8:52 am #

Yeouch. It’s all fun and games until someone mentally lashes out.

I can’t blame Shane being annoyed. If my child threw a tantrum like that she’d be sitting in the corner. However, him deciding to mentally slap her isn’t acceptable either.

It’s nice to see you guys showing an honest portrayal of how real people would react. I’ve been enjoying this story a great deal. I look forward to more.

• nancy August 28, 2009 at 9:39 am #

Your comment made me literally LOL. :)

I’m glad you find our portrayal of the joys of having young children realistic. It’s a challenge for me since I don’t have kids. Vanessa, being a mom, gives me pointers.

• Vanessa August 31, 2009 at 7:46 am #

Pointers that sometimes go: Addison would sell them both to the highest bidder. :) (My child advice is directly influenced by the behavior of my little angel/demon.)

2. Merrilee August 28, 2009 at 9:07 am #

Wait, they’re sleeping together now? I’m so behind. I just skipped ahead to read about the fight :) God these two are hopeless!

• nancy August 28, 2009 at 9:35 am #

Yeah, they’ve been sleeping together since the end of chapter 6. And yes, they’re hopeless. Vanessa and I think that the psychic horndogs are more interesting that way. :)

3. anna August 28, 2009 at 9:45 am #

Oh dear, Addison is a very protective mother, and Shane should have known better than to step in the way! Although really, a tantrum like that is annoying, you’d think she would have dealt with it herself.

• nancy August 28, 2009 at 10:31 am #

Addison’s lack of discipline may be my bad, being childless and all. I thought that at some point, you do just ignore the unwanted behavior. Thoughts?

• Eonknight August 28, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

I get the sense that Addison is doing her best, but the real authority is Svetlana. Presumably, Addison doesn’t spend enough time with Ashlynn and might have spoiled her in her first years.

And yes, at some point, ignoring the bad behavior may be an option, but not always. In this case, the situation got out of hand and ignoring is no longer an option. A better response MIGHT have been “We are having oatmeal this morning. You eat it or you don’t, but there will be nothing else until lunch (or morning snack, if she still has those)”.

But after 4 children (5th and last arrives soon), I can tell you they are all different, and what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for the others. So do not worry, it all is very believable. I think Addison would still be struggling with motherhood, since she doesn’t seem to have anyone to (dare?) guide her, and she’s too damn proud to look at how Svetlana deals with Ashlynn’s tantrums, let alone ask her for advice.

• Vanessa August 31, 2009 at 7:43 am #

This is actually more of a reply to Eonknight, but I don’t have the option to reply there.

Anyway, coming from my own experience: my DD is very high-strung, high-maintenance, suffers from anxiety, mild oppositional disorder, and only child syndrome. Her counselor emphasized time and time again that even follow up statements like “you’ll eat, not get anything ’til lunch, blah blah blah” are not good ideas. It’s reinforcement on the attention grabbing behavior, even if it’s just a few words. A better tactic really is Addison’s method: ignore her no matter how loud and obnoxious she gets. It’s all about consistency. Granted, Addison probably does feel a little parental guilt and lacks in the consistency bit of that; or, this is a new behavior (new baby, yadda yadda) and there haven’t been enough “rounds” of combat for the behavioral correction to take.

With my daughter, I’ve discovered that the behavior escalates and gets ten times worse before it gets better, but it does get squashed.

Anyway, what I’m saying is that I can totally see it playing out, and if anything Shane made matters worse by showing Ashlynn that he was annoyed.

• nancy August 31, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

Shane made things worse? Never! 😉

• Eonknight September 2, 2009 at 9:51 am #

Vanessa, I certainly did not want to get into a debate on the “best” way to handle children’s fits and tantrums. Like I have said, they are all different, don’t come with an owner’s manual and what works in one case might not work in another… I was merely trying to illustrate that Shane might not be entirely wrong, and that the scene was very believable from a parent’s point of view. I am sorry if it came out the wrong way. :-)

4. daymon August 28, 2009 at 11:55 am #

Well Shane hit the wall pretty hard there. I almost thought that Ashlynn threw him against the wall. I am sure when she gets older she might be able to.

I think Ashlynn is mostly spoiled due to having a maid to take care of her. Oh well it will take a while for that to be taken out of her.

• Vanessa August 31, 2009 at 7:47 am #

Addison wants me to point out that Svetlana is a highly qualified and trained nanny, not a maid. She would never leave her children in the hands of the maid. :)

5. Mujaki August 29, 2009 at 1:10 pm #

Could also be that Ashlynn is starting to show signs of jealousy of all the attention Jacob is getting, normal enough when a second child is born. As an only child she got to be the center of attention, but now there’s a bundle of feeding/crying/diaper changing BROTHER (bother)(other) taking up all of mommy’s focus.

• Vanessa August 31, 2009 at 7:48 am #

Isn’t there a cartoon character who considers her little brother to be her “little bother”?

6. Ziggy August 30, 2009 at 7:28 am #

Um… “Bad Shane! Go to your room and think about what you’ve done.” Says Addison.

This had me both laughing and angry. Violence. No! Even mentally. Addison treating Shane like a little boy. Yes!

• nancy August 31, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

I was pretty amused, too. :)

7. Isabel August 30, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

I think both of them ovrreacted, especially Addison. She should be grateful that Shane tried to discipline Ashlynn, even if it was by throwing his frustration at her. I hope that him reverting back to his alien-side will scare Addison enough to teach her that he is not one of her children or employees. Both of them need to swallow their pride and Addison needs to learn how to ask for and accept help. . .

• nancy August 31, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

True. See Seth’s and Elizabeth’s comment, though. :)

• Vanessa August 31, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

Addison, overreact? P’shaw. Never would happen. 😉

8. Seth August 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm #

Doesn’t anybody think that maybe the witches are trying to brew some trouble in the family? That maybe their weird behavior has something to do with whatever was done to them?

• Elisabeth August 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm #

I was thinking it was the witches trying to drive them apart, or something. I wonder though, why they didn’t want Shane involved from the beginning. Anyway, it could be the witches, or are they up to something even more diabolical?

And I wonder how much the baby Jacob is controlling his parents? (maybe not in this section) It seems to me that he had more to do with them getting together than a baby in a womb should. just saying.

• nancy August 31, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

You and Seth may be on to something…

• Soph September 2, 2009 at 6:55 am #

I hadn’t thought of that – though tbh, a newborn and a tantruming preschooler would be ample as far as throwing any newly merged family into chaotic jealousy and exasperating disorder is concerned :)

..then throw in psychic weirdness and bunch of interfering witches – they wouldn’t have that much work to do!

• nancy September 3, 2009 at 9:24 am #

That’s the idea, Soph. :)

• saga December 6, 2009 at 11:19 pm #