Chapter 9: Détente – part 5

The bitch was good, both at the sexual cat-and-mouse game and maintaining leverage over him. Although Shane was eager to learn the thief’s identity and get his crystal back, it could wait a few hours longer.

Smart, Shane said as he leaned closer. We wouldn’t want just anyone getting that information. He traced the outside of her breasts telekinetically, deliberately avoiding her hardened nipples. You’ll give me the encryption key soon?

Addison sighed before she caught herself. Soon.

“Good,” Shane said, pitching his voice the way that made Harris shiver. He laid his hand over hers, plucking the chip from her grasp with thumb and forefinger. The contact told him that Harris was aching with desire as well. “Why are we fighting this?” he murmured.

Harris shook herself and pulled back. “Because you’re a sodding wanker.”

Shane shrugged. “You’re a conniving bitch.” She shrugged in agreement.

Tired of the game, Shane changed tactics. On the count of three I’m going to kiss you. I hope you’ll kiss me back. We both know how good this will feel. Harris’ expression was unreadable, so Shane pressed on. One.

He leaned closer. Harris didn’t budge. Two.

Tilting his head, Shane stopped a centimeter from Harris’ luscious, pouty lips. He heard her heart pounding in her chest. Three.

Shane touched his lips to hers, moaning from the ardor flowing between them. Then by the grace of some merciful god, Harris crushed her lips against his.

***

Once Myers kissed her, Addison stopped resisting. She couldn’t touch enough of him, or he of her. Hands worked to shed clothing, only to halt when their minds touched.

Addison froze, pushing up on her hands and knees over Myers’ nude form. Fear and distrust damped their desire as they stared, panting. Bugger this, Addison thought, then gingerly touched his mind. Myers flinched, but his shields stayed down. His mental fingers touched hers. Then minds and bodies entwined.

They climaxed together, hips thrusting and bodies grinding. They must have rolled off the couch, because Addison raked her nails down Myers’ back, her legs locked around his hips. With her mouth pressed into his neck to muffle her cries, she tasted salt from his sweat-slicked skin.

As the orgasm ebbed, their rhythm slowed, leaving them spent and trembling. Against her better judgment, Addison caressed Shane’s bare back, skimming over the scratches she’d left. She kissed his shoulder, then withdrew her mind. If Myers could not be a prat for a few hours, she’d happily stay for another round.

***

Shane lay quietly with Harris, sated, content, but wary. He knew he was a fool to sleep with her, and downright idiotic to let her into his mind. But after those few weeks before and after Jake’s birth no one else came close. He hoped that her love for their son would keep him safe.

Harris’ light touches on his back were lulling him to sleep right on the sofa. Floor, Shane realized muzzily from the feel of the carpet. They needed to move or she needed to leave; Rose or Jake could wander out at any moment.

After a few moments of pondering the best way to broach the subject, Shane took the direct route. If you’d like to stay for a while longer, we need to move to the bedroom. Since he’d already proved his weakness for the woman, he didn’t slap up mental shields. She’d feel his hope that she’d stay.

Harris tensed, then relaxed. Bedroom, she agreed. I can do without more rug burn.

Chuckling, Shane hauled himself to his feet. He managed to hold back a snarky comment about how he could have healed their minor wounds if Harris wasn’t withholding the thief’s identity. But that wasn’t exactly true, and he was enjoying the détente too much to risk it, so he offered Harris a hand up instead. She took it.

After gathering their scattered clothes, they walked to Shane’s bedroom, passing Rose’s and Jake’s. Mommy, the boy murmured sleepily, the thought laced with love. Shane and Harris stopped short, blinking at the closed door to Jake’s room.

That’s right, Jakey, Harris crooned. Go back to sleep.

Okay, Jake sighed. Good night, Mommy. Good night, Daddy. His thoughts dissolved into sleep.

Shane’s delighted smile mirrored Harris’. Before he succumbed to sentimentalism, Shane touched Harris’ shoulder and continued into the bedroom. She followed.

Although Shane’s logical side screamed over how dangerous this was, he slipped under the covers with the mother of his son and curled up against her. Surely he could trust her for a few more hours. There was no past, just physical comfort and anticipation of carnal pleasure. This isn’t like the last time, he assured himself.

It’s not. Shane started from Harris’ thought.

Right. He ran his hands over her breasts and down her side to distract them both. Their hormones stirred. Give me an hour or two, all right? Shane felt her mental agreement.

They lay awake pretending that the other slept. Sleep claimed them eventually.

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Chapter 9: Détente – part 5”

1. jess December 18, 2009 at 12:14 am #

WOW! This was amazing. I’m hoping that they’ll be able to mend their relationship one day.

• nancy December 18, 2009 at 2:00 pm #

Maybe one day. :)

2. leash December 18, 2009 at 2:00 am #

soo intense i loved it…downside i hate the trust issues between them. will they ever overcome it? an try be happy together? to both be smart,highranking scientist they are so dumb an naive…

• nancy December 18, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

I admit we’re asking you to suspend disbelief a bit. Does it help that they’re in a culture of paranoia and mistrust?

Also, a romance is no fun if the lovers are together and happy. :)

3. Heidi Cautrell December 18, 2009 at 8:56 am #

Hmmm. Can sex help them over come? I do hope so! They are rather perfect for one another.

But now I’m curious to know just who Joon got to steal his prism and where this will lead them. Also, is the theft from Harris related? Questions, questions.

Wonderful as always ladies.

Also, because you know I’m a pain like this:

The first part of this sentence, ‘Hands worked shed clothing,’ seems to be missing something. Or am I just reading it wrong? Hands worked to shed clothing? Smack me if I’m wrong. 😉

• nancy December 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

Yep, missing the word “to.” Thanks for pointing it out! Dumb brain seeing imaginary words. 😛

The thief who stole Shane’s prism will be revealed soon, I promise!

4. Eonknight December 18, 2009 at 9:36 am #

Technical stuff first:
    “Good,” [SAID?] Shane, pitching his voice…

Hands worked [TO?] shed clothing…

Woohoo! Shane’s growing up fast… He’s sending Harris a powerful message. I hope she hears it loud and clear. That will be the first step in mending their relationship.

It’s funny how a person who thought she was in total control will hate the person she fell in love with PRECISELY because she fell in love, and hence lost control. For once, Shane seems to be getting a clue faster than Addison. She’s going to have to accept that she’s in love…

Can’t wait to find out how Addison will react when she wakes up! :-)

• nancy December 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Thanks for catching my missing word typos. I’m so good at making (omitting?) them! *headdesk*

You’ll like Tuesday’s post. Drama-licious!

5. daymon December 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

They gave in a lot faster, then again they both know how good it will feel. Hopefully they can work on trusting each other again, at least to keep from hurting Jake.

• nancy December 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Seriously. If not for Jake they’d probably kill each other.

6. pinkbagels December 20, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Ahh, finally! I was waiting for this uneasy reunion to happen–they both have such deep trust issues, and yet they can’t entirely be blamed for it since they were manipulated into breaking up. Still, there was a lot of selfish pride keeping them apart.

It’s amazing how clueless both Addison and Harris are about their feelings for each other. Given any opportunity, they morph their external lovers into each others images. If that isn’t a big clue that they have deeper emotions for one another, I don’t know what is :P.

Poor Teague. I get the feeling he won’t take too kindly to being used by Harris like this. He seems like a genuinely decent person,unlike the sadomasochistic Joon, who knew the score from the beginning. I sense a growing conflict on Teague’s part, especially when he realises just how deep Shane has been wedged into Harris’s ice-cold heart.

• Eonknight December 20, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

I agree that it will be interesting to see where this goes with Teague and Addison… However, as Nancy pointed out in earlier comments:

Joon knew Shane was changing her to live a fantasy of his, but she didn’t know he was making her into ANOTHER WOMAN’S SPECIFIC IMAGE.

Teague, on the other hand, is morphing HIMSELF, so he knows exactly the extent of the transformation; he knows he’s transforming into SHANE specifically, and he knows that there is a deep connection between Addison and SHANE. He seems to be living with this fairly well so far.

• pinkbagels December 20, 2009 at 8:47 pm #

I screwed up the names, which is ridiculously stupid of me, and I am rightfully chastised.

Sorry :( Clearly I’m Biiiiiig dummy!

I would like to say more, but I’m feeling too stupid at present. :((

• pinkbagels December 20, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

omg, I completely screwed up the names. Sorry about that. I need to have Shane and Addison stamped permanently into my brain.

Does it help to know I forget when my own mother’s birthdate was? I have terrible issues with names and dates >.<

• nancy December 21, 2009 at 11:23 am #

No worries. I knew what you meant. And it took me this long to reply because my ISP was down for an eternity. At least it seemed that way. :/

7. Alexandra December 22, 2009 at 8:50 am #

You are SUCH the masters of suspense and drawing things out and titillating your readers!!!

I have just one (hopefully) helpful bit of feedback about an ongoing thing. Something that’s getting a little old and worn out for me, as a reader, is when Myers and Harris keep referring to each other with insulting words. (The bitch did this, the prat did that) Sometimes the same one is used a couple paragraphs apart. We already know how they feel about each other, so maybe those names can taper off, or they could switch to other ones? Or—-maybe it’s their schtick and has to stay in place. But I thought I’d just put it out there.

Long live SLB!

• nancy December 22, 2009 at 9:23 am #

Hmm. I think the name-calling will remain. I’ll think up some some new insults so I don’t keep using the same ones over and over. Sorry about that!